By about the commencement of the Twentieth Century, the game of golf
was just beginning to attain the immense popularity which it
The Melbourne Golf Club was formed in 1891. The privilege of adding the prefix "Royal" to it's name was granted by Queen Victoria in 1895.
The initiative in forming the Sorrento Golf Club can be attributed to a group of business and professional men of Melbourne who had established their seaside homes at Sorrento or Portsea and were keen on playing golf.
The Sorrento Golf Club was formed on the 30th March 1907 and was then known as "The Sorrento and Portsea Golf Club".
In 1909 for reasons which were not recorded, an extraordinary general meeting of the club decided to eliminate the words "and Portsea" from the name of the club. Thus it adopted it's current name - "The Sorrento Golf Club"